Chronic pain & inflammation is one of the most common conditions that we treat in Frisco, TX at Tieperman Health & Wellness. We see many patients who try nearly everything to help ease that inflammation. However, many overlook their diets. Many foods in our diets actually make inflammation worse. However, there are also many foods out there that can naturally bring down information. Making simple changes to your diet to incorporate more of these foods can work wonders! The trick is knowing which foods have which effect and adjusting your diet accordingly.
Foods that Make Inflammation Worse
Knowing which foods to avoid, is just as important as which foods you should eat more of. One major trend that you will notice on this list is, the key is eating healthier, in general, and cutting out junk foods. However, there are some “healthy” foods that an still cause inflammation.
- Artificial Colors/Flavors/Preservatives – Anything artificial in food can increase inflammation. In the case of artificial flavors such as MSG, it can actually stimulate your body’s pain receptors.
- Sugars – Sugar is by far the one food that anyone who suffers from chronic pain should attempt to avoid. Not only does sugar increase inflammation, but it also increases your body’s sensitivity to pain.
- Milk/Dairy – For some people, one of the proteins in milk, casein, can be difficult to process. This can invoke a painful, inflammatory response in the body.
- Caffeine – For people who suffer from chronic pain, being well-rested is VITAL. Lack of sleep can make the pain even worse for these people. Too much caffeine can result in poor quality sleep, depriving them of the rest they need.
- White Flour/Processed Grains – White flour is a simple carbohydrate that is immediately converted to sugar. Like we said above, sugar needs to be avoided. All of the processing also removes nearly all of the nutritional value form the grains.
- Nightshade Vegetables – For people with arthritis, nightshade vegetables make the pain significantly worse. A few examples are green peppers, potatoes & eggplants.
Foods You Should Eat More Of
Maintaining a healthy diet is an incredibly important aspect of pain management. Here are a few foods that you should add to your diet to help alleviate some of your pain and swelling.
- Tart Cherries – Multiple studies have shown that a compound found in cherries called cyanidine is a more effective anti-inflammatory than aspirin. It is also incredibly effective in relieving joint pain.
- Cocoa – Eating 1-2 ounces of chocolate with 70% or higher cocoa content is a great way to decrease inflammation. Cocao contains flavonols, which are effective anti-inflammatories.
- Herbs & Spices – Several herbs & spices are incredibly effective in bringing down the inflammation. Tumeric, cinnamon, garlic, mint, rosemary, and ginger are all fantastic options.
- Virgin Olive Oil – Virgin olive oil contains a compound called oleocanthal, that works similarly to Ibuprofen.
There are many ways that merely improving your diet can relieve some of the pain that you deal with every day. Hopefully, you’ve been able to see that even after cutting out the junk food, you still have lots of delicious options! If you need help with changing your diet, or if you have changed it and are not seeing results please contact us! We are the most affordable pain-management clinic in the area, and take pride in being accessible to EVERYONE. If you are struggling with chronic pain, please give our Frisco, TX office a call to schedule an appointment!